For those who want to play Huck Finn for a day, a guided float trip in one of our drift boats is the way to go. Spring and Fall are considered the best times to float. After meeting your guide at our river shop for an early morning cup of coffee, we’ll trailer up and drive you through the misty mountains to the river. Setting off, we’ll drift through a pastoral valley of farms and forests, running mild Class I and II rapids and plying rocky pools and riffles with nymph rigs and streamers.
Feel free to stand up and cast, as our boats provide lean bars and stable footing. From time to time, we’ll anchor to allow you to work a pod of rising trout with dry flies. A scrumptious shore lunch on a gravel bar or island provides a nice mid-day break, before continuing downriver in search of “Troutzilla.” Take a nap on the way home, if you like. You earned it!
Guided Trout Float Trips-
FULL DAY $450.00 (Up to 2 Anglers)
Suited for: All Skill Levels (maximum 2 anglers per boat)
Possible destinations: the Tuckasegee River, the Catawba River, the Watauga, and South Holston Rivers.
RATE- $450.00 up to 2 Anglers
- A licensed, knowledgeable fishing guide who can assist you with casting, locating fish, and whatever questions you may have.
- Transportation from Headwaters’ shop to and from the stream(s) you will be fishing
- Fly Fishing equipment- including Waders, Wading Boots, Fly Rod, Reel, and Fly Line
Picnic Lunch including Water and Sodas.
RATES DO NOT INCLUDE
- A North Carolina Fishing License with Trout Stamp (you can purchase both ahead of time by visiting NCwildlife.org)
- Dressing appropriately for the weather- We recommend wearing quick dry clothing even though your Waders will be waterproof. Wear fleece or polyester layers during colder months, and bring a good rain jacket no matter the forecast. Wear thick wool socks.
- Hat, Sunscreen, Lip Balm, Camera, Insect Repellent, and a change of clothes just in case.
- Camouflage- Try to avoid brightly colored shirts and hats that may spook the fish. Earth tones are better.
Guided Trout Float Trip Pricing- $450.00 (Up to 2 Anglers) FULL DAY