The French Broad River provides fall and winter musky fishing for experienced anglers and advanced casters used to chucking large streamer flies on 10-12 weight fly rods.
Our musky guides provide
full day float trips only, half day trips are not available.
Enjoy lunch on the river with a seasoned musky guide in a high-end raft as you float the French Broad River and beyond.
Suited for: expert and experienced fly anglers only
Destinations: French Broad River
Trip Description: Fly fishing for musky, known as “the fish of 10,000 casts,” might just be the last frontier of freshwater fishing in the United States. Luckily, for someone interested in the pursuit of these mercurial, toothy fish, we have a good population of muskies right here in our backyard on the French Broad River.
November through May is considered the best time to pursue these pike relatives, which grow as large as 50 inches. As we hit the river, your guide will describe the ins-and-outs of muskie fishing, including the unique strategies used to trigger strikes. Drifting downstream or slowly motoring upstream, you’ll cast your 10-weight (with a sinking line) and very large streamer to every likely logjam, boulder, and undercut bank in the search for these elusive predators.
Along the way, we’ll pull into some shade, have lunch, and let your casting arm take a break. Remember, “muskie fishing is muskie fishing,” as they say, and just seeing a single muskellunge rush your fly is considered a successful day. If you’re lucky and diligent, you might get more than one to eat your fly, as well as a few large smallies or brown trout looking for a big meal.
Call us at 828-877-3106 today to make reservations for your next trip to catch the elusive Musky on the French Broad River!
MUSKY FLOAT RATES
FULL DAY- $450 (Up to 2 Anglers)
- A licensed, knowledgeable fishing guide who can assist you with casting, locating fish, and whatever questions you may have.
- Transportation from Headwaters’ shop
toand from the stream(s) you will be fishing
- Fly Fishing equipment- including Waders, Wading Boots, Fly Rod, Reel, and Fly Line
Picnic Lunch including Water and Sodas.
Rates Do Not Include
- A North Carolina Fishing License (you can purchase both ahead of time by visiting NCwildlife.org)
- Dressing appropriately for the weather- We recommend wearing
quick dryclothing even though your Waders will be waterproof. Wear fleece or polyester layers during colder months, and bring a good rain jacket no matter the forecast. Wear thick wool socks.
- Hat, Sunscreen, Lip Balm, Camera, Insect Repellent, and a change of clothes just in case.
- Camouflage- Try to avoid brightly colored shirts and hats that may spook the fish. Earth tones are better
USDA NON-DISCRIMINATION STATEMENT
Headwaters Outfitters, INC. operates in the Pisgah Ranger District of The Pisgah National Forest in North Carolina under a Special Use Permit and is an equal opportunity provider.