At the Headwaters Outfitters’ “School of Trout,” we offer fly-fishing classes for everyone!
Beginners have the opportunity to get their feet wet and learn the basics of fly angling, while intermediate anglers can hone their skills or learn new techniques on the water with experienced guides who love to teach.
Join us and see why our Fly Fishing Schools are the easiest and most enjoyable way to learn this rewarding pastime!
Our 3 hour Fly Fishing Class
3 Hour Introduction: cost is $125.00/ per person (limit 6 people per instructor) 9 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Monday through Sunday.
Each class will cover:
• Intro to Tackle- including fly rods, reels, line, leader and “tippet.”
• Three knots you need to know.
• A basic introduction to aquatic insects found on local streams
• How to select flies to “match the hatch”
• Casting. Students will learn to execute a roll cast, overhead cast and bow-and-arrow cast.
• Reading water: learn where trout hold and feed in the stream and why.
Our Full Day Fly Fishing School:
This combines our three-hour class with a half-day of stream fishing, giving students the ability to apply their newfound angling skills to real-life fishing situations. The cost of this class includes the use of waders, boots, rods
Full Day School of Trout:
1 Angler Full Day- $275.00
2 Anglers Full Day- $475.00
3 Anglers Full Day- $575.00
Private Water Upgrades Available Upon Request
Students will learn:
• Rigging up for a day on the water, including basic knot-tying, leader set-up, and how to add a dropper fly, split shot and strike indicator, if necessary.
• Casting, including the roll cast, overhead cast, bow-and-arrow cast, false casting, water loading
• How to mend your line to get the most natural drift and fool more fish
• How to fish a dry fly, nymph and a streamer, and what circumstances call for each one of these approaches.
• How to read a stream, picking out the most likely places fish will hold and feed.
• How to identify caddisflies, mayflies, stoneflies
• How to choose the right fly to “match the hatch.”
• How to hook, play and land fish, plus proper techniques for releasing fish unharmed.
After the school is complete, students will enjoy a streamside lunch before departing on the fishing portion of the day.